Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop Temporary Closure
Updated 22 May 2020.
Following the government guidance around COVID-19, Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop closed to the public temporarily from 18 March 2020.
We are going to miss seeing all our Members, users, audiences and collaborators face to face but look forward to other sorts of interactions online and welcoming you back to ESW later in the year.
There’s more detailed information below, including about Public Courses Programme postponement. We will continue to monitor the situation carefully and keep information updated online. We realise that we will be working in a changed situation, with continued social distancing measures in place, so will take this into account while planning for any re-introduction of activity on our site.
We are working with our international partners to reschedule our residencies and hope to host artists from around the UK as well as Lithuania, Germany and Japan later in the year.
We realise that this is a challenging time for all of us including the communities around ESW. We would like to thank everyone for the support and understanding they have shown already and would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in our activities over time.
We are continuing to share useful information for our members through social media and the Members Opportunities Newsletter which has information about support measures and open calls.
We are also taking further steps as a team to deal with the overall situation. As a measure to try to adapt to the hiatus in activity and take strategic steps to mediate against the downturn in income for ESW, most of the team have entered into Furlough from 1 May 2020. Furlough is paid leave from the organisation and in this very particular situation it means we can use the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to reclaim some staffing costs. This is a really appreciated and essential action which staff members have taken.
Please keep in touch with us as we plan for the future.
More detailed information:
- If you have booked for a course we have contacted everyone individually. Thanks to everyone who had confirmed that they either would like to retain their booking or have a refund. If this correspondence hasn’t got through to you, please contact our main office email.
- If you have a Gift Voucher or Session Voucher which expires during this closure we will be pleased to extend this by three months and can do this the next time you come into ESW when we re-open.
- Cafe MILK is closed. Please check out their new MILK DELIVERS service and their kiosk at Inverleith Park.
- We will continue our ESW Member communications during this time as we realise it’s even more important to be able to share opportunities and supportive information. You can join as a member here.
- You can contact staff through normal channels including leaving phone messages for us to pick up. You will understand that we are all working different times and juggling other responsibilities so it might take us longer to respond.
- You can link to our social media channels through the boxes at the base of this page, where there’s also a way to sign up to our free mailing list.
- We are in touch with ESW Studio, Project Space and 24 Hour Access Holders with additional information separately.
- You can collect ‘I can help’ slips to distribute to neighbours, from a box file outside the main entrance of ESW.
- Further resources:
- https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/coronavirus including ‘Can you help?’ section about how to volunteer.
COMMUNITY EFFORTS WITH COVID-19 PANDEMIC
There is a large community effort in the North East of Edinburgh, within Newhaven where ESW is based and the surrounding areas. You can read the community activity bulletin, which is prepared by Elaine Lennon, here… It includes links to NHS Lothian, Edinburgh City Council, the Scottish Government’s Ready Scotland website, opportunities to help, links to local organisations, a very extensive online list of activities ideas, for adults and children, and a list of emergency contacts.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any community news to share. More info about submitting is near the end of the document.
You can support the work of ESW and artists through one-off donations, or by becoming a Member.
Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop is grateful for the support it receives from Creative Scotland, Culture Edinburgh – Edinburgh City Council and its other project funders.