ESW/ECA Graduate Residencies 2020
Did you graduate from ECA in 2020 and need support to help you establish your career and develop your practice? If the answer is yes then you are eligible to apply for the ESW/ECA Graduate Residency Award.
Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop and Edinburgh College of Art have come together to create this award for the 2020 ECA Graduates whose final year of study was disrupted by the COVID pandemic.
This year rather than offering one graduating artist a three month residency at ESW we are instead offering 4 studio spaces for period of three months to any 2020 graduate of ECA School of Art. The motivation for this change is to create a more expansive, social and democratic outcome for the class of 2020 allowing wider access to studios, other artists, support networks as well as facilities and training. ESW realise that the economic situation around COVID-19 is particularly complex and have taken this into account when designing the Graduate Residency opportunity this year.
Selected artists will receive:
- A 24 hr access studio space at Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop for 3 months.
- Support and access to training from our technical team.
- Mentorship and support from our programme team.
- Full access to the workshop equipment and facilities (charges stills apply to machine fees and consumables).
- Each selected artist will have one event or public outcome at ESW dependent of COVID restrictions at the time.
- 1 year’s Membership of Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop.
In addition ESW can offer accommodation for 1 artist in one of our onsite apartments for 3 months which enables an artist who has had to move away Edinburgh the opportunity to relocate here again.
The residencies will run from mid January 2021 – mid April 2021
You must have graduated from any Under Graduate and Post Graduate Fine Art course at ECA in 2020.
Your application should be a pdf under 10MB and should include:
- Up to 500 words articulating your artistic practice.
- Up to 500 words explaining why the residency is important to you and how it will help you develop your work and career.
- Your C.V..
- 8-10 supporting images with details of the work (You can include links to your website and other works online).
- A 50 word biog.
- Identify if you require accommodation and explain why this is important. Priority will be given to applicants not resident in Edinburgh at the time of application.
Please indicate whether you received a Scottish Government Bursary towards living costs while you were studying. It is not necessary to have received a Government Bursary to apply but one of the residency awards is specifically reserved for a graduate who received a Government support while studying.
Deadline –Sunday 6th December at midnight
The selection panel will be Alice Dudgeon (ESW Studio Holder), Connie Hurley (Arusha Gallery & Artist) and Jonathan Owen (ESW Studio Holder)
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24hrs or have any questions about the award please contact email@example.com
Image: Artifact or Artefact, Exhibition View, Paula Doherty & Matt Zurowski, Graduate Residents 2019