ESW is seeking a Technician
Apply by 10 February 2019 – Now Closed
JOB OPPORTUNITY – TECHNICIAN (BUILDING)
Deadline for Applications: 5pm on Sunday 10 February 2019.
We are seeking a highly motivated Technician (Building) to become part of our small, dedicated team. The post holder will manage our building and facilitate access to workshops and studios at our bespoke site in Newhaven in Edinburgh.
The Technician (Building) will be providing supported access to the workshops, project spaces and studios and also have responsibilities for the management of the building. They will also be involved in the public use of the building through our courses, learning and exhibition programmes.
The successful applicant will also be supported in training and have access to our workshop facilities for developing their own practice.
Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop provides spaces, equipment and resources designed to provide an ideal environment for production, research and learning. The sculpture centre was developed in two stages. The Bill Scott Sculpture Centre which opened in 2012 houses 26 artist studios, workshops supporting various processes, education and research spaces and two artist apartments. Adjacent to this is the Creative Laboratories which opened in 2015 and provides outdoor working areas, spaces for presentation and seminars and a public café. Together these two buildings provide a unique facility which is a major resource for contemporary sculpture.
The Technician (Building) will be responsible for implementing the Health & Safety and Environment policies, for maintaining the building and for identifying cost efficiencies across building systems and operations.
We are looking for an individual with some experience within a similar role with priorities around supporting artists, and ensuring the safe and efficient management of the building. The ideal candidate will be adaptable to the busy environment and sensitive to the contrasting needs and requirements of the different communities working at ESW including working with outside bookings of our spaces.
We will also work with the post holder to identify appropriate training to continue their development.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Health & Safety
- Monitoring activities in the building within the context of the organisation’s Health & Safety policy
- Ensuring ESW’s duty of care to the staff, users and visitors is applied across all activities
- Attending Health & Safety meetings and providing information for Health & Safety reports to the Director and Board of Directors
- Ensuring all staff (permanent, freelance and volunteers) have the required support and supervision to facilitate the highest standard of health & safety
- Work with other Technicians to carry out and maintain ESW’s risk assessment records
- Be responsible for providing first aid within the building and at events
- Providing specialist Technical Support
- Providing training and professional development in sculptural processes for artists, groups and public users
- Assisting with exhibition installation and project set-up and delivery
- Keeping the building in good condition which will involve maintenance of the fabric, fixtures and fittings
- Implementing the annual test schedules and regular review of building operations (such as the alarm and security systems)
- Supporting the implementation of ESW’s Environment policy
- Supervising ESW’s cleaning company
- First point of contact for ESW’s security firm
- Liaise with ESW’s café operators to ensure efficient running of the space
- Liaise with external contractors
- Managing waste and recycling
- Managing storage within the building
- Stock taking and regular updating of inventories for equipment and consumables
- Maintaining administration files and records, monitoring costs and working to budgets
- Operating the forklift
Work with other Technicians and the Programme Team to facilitate safe management of the programme including review of risk assessments, leading building inductions and providing first-aid cover at events.
- Management of own budget area
- Regularly review standard and type of services and supplies relating to the management of the building to ensure value for money and efficiency
- Knowledge of the equipment and processes used across one or more of the wood, metal or mixed media workshops
- Knowledge of contemporary sculpture and in particular, the skills and processes involved
- Experience in practical day to day building maintenance as well as working with contractors
- Good knowledge of current best practice in health & safety
- Experience of scheduling and ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft software packages – Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience of working across different teams within an organisation
- Certified training in Health & Safety policy and procedures, First Aid and carbon management reporting experience (according to guidelines set down by Creative Carbon Scotland)
- Forklift License
- Experience of workshop facilitation
Pay & Conditions
- Part-time basis (3 days per week)
- Salary: £21,000 – £23460 pro rata (dependent on experience and certified training)
- ESW offers the statutory pension scheme for all employees
- Annual Leave: 35 days annual leave pro rata
- Additional time allowed for professional development
- Access to the workshops and facilities
Please submit as one PDF:
– a copy of your cv (no more than two A4 pages) including the names of two referees.
– a cover letter (no more than two A4 pages) which outlines clearly how you meet the job and person specification.
Applications must be received by email by no later than 5pm on Sunday 10 February.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘Technician (Building) Application’.
Any questions about the role can be directed to Laura Simpson, Director, Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop.
We understand that it might be useful to visit to see the facilities at ESW while you are preparing your application – if so please get in touch to arrange a time.
Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop is committed to equal opportunities in employment.