Member’s Opportunity: Call for Proposals for the Hawthornvale Space
Members are invited to propose an installation of new work for our Hawthornvale Space.
Conceived as an ongoing programme of temporary public artworks, this programme reaches a broad audience, providing the members of the public with an unexpected encounter with contemporary art.
There are three presentation slots in 2024
March – May.
July – September.
October – December.
ESW members are invited to make proposals to present ideas for either new solo or collaborative installations. Please note the person who makes the proposal must hold and active ESW Membership.
For more information about becoming a member click here
The deadline for proposals is 5pm, Sunday, 12 November 2023.
When you make a proposal please bear in mind:
That any presentation is intended to be viewed from the street the audience cannot enter the space during the exhibition
The space is approx. 625cm (wide) x 284cm (deep) x 215cm (height)
The walls are made of plasterboard and the floor concrete
Each Artist Will Receive
- £500 to support the production of the work
- Studio / workshop and / or accommodation costs £450
- Travel and Access Costs £100
- Support time for curatorial staff
- Support time for technical staff
- Access to the space for 2 weeks prior installation.
We welcome applications from everyone. We positively encourage applications from minority ethnic backgrounds including:
- Black, Asian and People of colour
- Disabled people including people with mental health issues or long-term health conditions or chronic illness or learning disabled
- Unemployed/low waged
- People from lower socio-economic backgrounds
How to Apply
Your proposal should be a single pdf , and should include:
- Project Title – this can be provisional
- Main Contact Info – noting email and telephone details
- Short Bio for each artist – 50 words
- Short Description – 250 words describing the idea behind the presentation.
- Supporting Images – please supply up to eight relevant images, with work details. You can include links to websites and other projects in the PDF.
- Timing: Please give an indication of your preferred time slot. We will try to accommodate your request but can’t guarantee you will get your preferred dates.
March – May
July – August
October – December
Deadline: 5pm, Sunday 12 November 2023
Email: Daniel Brown firstname.lastname@example.org with proposals or if you have any questions before you submit your application.
Top: A New Face In Hell, Sebastian Thomas, install shot: Image credit: Oana Stanciu
Below: Psycho Capital, Calum Craik, install shot: Image credit: Calum Craik
This programme is support by the Idlewild Trust, Creative Scotland and The City of Edinburgh Council