Edinburgh College of Art Graduate Bursary Award Residency: 6 September – 17 December 2018
We are delighted to welcome Amelia Tan as our first Edinburgh College of Art Graduate Bursary Award Resident between 6 September and 17 December 2018. Amelia recently graduated from Intermedia at Edinburgh College of Art where she founded The On+on Performance Company. She will spend three months living and working at Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop.
Amelia Tan works with performance and video. Her work often begins with filmed observations of everyday behaviours and actions. This informs the development of a series of reenacted and fragmented movements, developed through workshops. Interested in the façade that we build when in public situations, her work aims to make visible the unconscious movements that shape our relationship to the materials and meanings of the modern world.
Recent exhibitions and performances include ‘Rhythm Machine’, The Bongo Club; ‘Trading Zones’, Talbot Rice Gallery; ‘The Green Room’, Dornoch St Project Space; and ‘Apple Bobbing’, Embassy Gallery.
In 2018 Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop launched The Scottish Bursary Graduate Award, a three month residency that is open to students graduating from any of the five Scottish Art Schools BA, MA or MFA courses. The aim of the bursary is to provide graduates with their first professional opportunity, make connections with Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop’s artist’s network and to support them in the production of new work to be exhibited at the end of their residency. This award is generously supported Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh.
Successful applicants receive
- £2000 production and research budget
- A studio at Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop for 3 months
- Accommodation in one of Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop’s apartments
- Full access to the workshop equipment and facilities (charges apply to consumables)
- Training and skills development
- Support from the technical, administrative and programme staff at Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop
- An end of project exhibition in one of Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop’s spaces
- 1 year’s free membership of Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop